Monday, October 22, 2012

Books By the Banks and and the 20th Century Theater

Sketch of the amazing 10th Century theater from the outdoor eating area at Habit's after the illustrators lunch
Books by the Banks was great this year. I met a lot of people and had a great location. Book sales were very good. A Warm Winter Tail sold out almost instantly lots of Why the Possum has a Large Grin takers and we sold a fair amount of the others too! They had four of my titles there.

I was lousy at taking pictures this year which is too bad. A lot of great illustrators (and authors) were there. I was at my own table which made it harder to skip out for a few moments. I did briefly meet Mac Barnett and got a couple Brixton Brothers books for my nephew. I also got Chloe and the Lion for my personal collection. Both are illustrated by Adam Rex, an amazing and generous illustrator (and a great help when I was getting started in children's book illustration). I met him years ago in the 90s when we were both doing illustrations for role-playing games during the CCG craze. He has produced an amazing body of work since then and has a book written by the equally amazing Neil Gaiman called Chu's Day out in January.

Anyway, a couple pictures I managed to take. In the Platonic context, they are the shadows on the wall compared to the true event...

My table, just imaging me sitting at it...

The parade of beloved children's book characters. Seemed a little dog heavy; good thing the cat was there.



2 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait till next year! I hope I can be there with my S/D books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And hopefully one day with Wordsworth and the Dragon :)

    ReplyDelete